domingo, 29 de mayo de 2011

7 Cruces




























I have found such peace in the mountains of Guatemala and my time spent wandering through their forests has been able to provide me with the serenity and clarity that the ocean usually provides. On my last overnight, I was in the company of good friends and we found ourselves sleeping on top of the crater of Volcan Zunil. It took us seven hours to arrive but the pace was chill and we stopped often to chat, decorate a cross, make coffee, have lunch above an old Mayan ceremonial cave, and enjoy the slowed pace not found in the city.
Decorating a cross
to celebrate
Dia de los Cruces




I saw fire flies that night and I think I was as excited as I was the first I saw them. At first, I had no idea what they were because it was so out of context and they didn’t really fly around (maybe because of the cold). It reminded me of Tennessee and summer nights as a child and also that I will be spending time with my niece and nephew in that special place this summer, hopefully catching fireflies. It was just so incredible to see them atop a volcano, so far from where I first was introduced.  

The morning sunrise was spectacular and the views in all directions were clear. We could see the peaks of another dozen or so volcanoes, Lake Atitlan, and even into Mexico. We made a fire, prepared hot chocolate, and waited for the show. It was a fine morning of Channel 1 viewing. We watched Satiaguito erupt repeatedly in the distance over the course of a couple of hours as some local people sang and prayed atop an outcropping of rocks a few hundred yards away. It was magical.
Santiaguito erupting in the distance

We broke camp and made our way down through varied trees of the forest. There was cypress, which I think of as swamp trees found in the Delta of Mississippi, grandly growing out of the mountainsides. We passed through cloud forest full of lichen covered trees and then sections of dense bamboo. Pines surrounded us at times and flowers of bright colors dotted the green. It was impressive and then came the cherry. We spotted a quetzal and were mesmerized by its song.

One of my Guatemala friends on the hike asked me why I like to be outdoors and go hiking. I told him I liked the quiet and simplicity of it and that you never know how things will unfold. You have everything you need on your back and it reminds you how little you need to actually be happy. 




Irene, Carlos, Judy, and Elias in front of 7 crosses (that is the name of the trail)




corn starting

1 comentario:

  1. I believe I did the same hike there and it was one of the most magical experiences and sunrises I've encountered. I'm so happy you are getting to do all these things and you sound very at peace. I miss you!

    ResponderEliminar