miércoles, 9 de febrero de 2011

A New Journey


Guatemala!!

I am here. It has not been a short path, nor one with few choices, to get here, In fact, it has been 30 years of living that has put me here and seven difficult months. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and sometimes the beauty of believing in that is waiting for the reasons to unfold. I know that I am here for a reason.

It has been two weeks since I arrived. Hurled into the chaos of a new dialect of Spanish and the cacophony of horns and “bombas” (fireworks not bombs), I have found myself excited and often grinning at the circumstances that currently are my life. Strangely enough, it all feels quite comfortable. The question of  “how the hell did I end up here, right here, right now?”  has crossed my mind but seems to be dismissed by the answer –“you manifested it”. More on manifestation at another time.

I arrived to Guatemala city via plane and took a taxi/bus/taxi combo to a friend’s house that is in the Peace Corp. Yes-I (as I know him) has become Jesse, cut his hair and is clean shaven since our days working together on Catalina Island.  I think it has to do with the fact that he is working for the Mayor in a town called Totonicopan (20 min. from where I live) on an ecotourism project that involves waterfalls.  His kindness and introduction to the marvelously crazy country of Guatemala has been invaluable.

I spent the first few days figuring out how to ride the “chicken buses” and micro buses without getting lost or ripped off. Check! I made my way to the Habitat for Humanity office where I will be working, set up Spanish classes, and committed to live with a family, for a bit, that will hopefully fatten me up some.

The weekend found me heading out with Yes-I to climb my first volcano in Guatemala: Volcan Atitlan (11,604 ft.). It was an organized trek with the intention to remove trash from the volcano. I was nervous that the summit would elude me (out of shape and middle aged) but I was in the company of over 60 people (Guatemalans and foreigners) that were full of determination and the notion that, of course, we are going to make it to the top. It did not matter that nearly everyone was ill-prepared, according to American standards, and seemed to lack sufficient amounts of food, water and shelter. First valuable lesson in Guatemala: food, water and shelter are meant to be shared. Why else would you have it? 

After 10 hours of hiking, we make it to the summit, totally exhausted, and Yes-I, Judy and I set up our broken tent. Even though it was really cold and windy, I awoke in the night sweating, and realized I was sleeping on some serious thermal activity that was heating the ground. I had a little difficulty easing my mind and falling back asleep. The volcano was shrouded in clouds the following morning, thus holding the views to the coast for another day. As the sun peeked in on the 60 or so exhausted folks at the top of Volcan Atitlan that morning, it was clear that we all felt fulfilled by the journey. We removed an absurd amount of trash as we stumbled, and sometimes slid, our way down.

I continually find myself inspired by the people that cross my path and this weekend was abundantly giving in that regard. Taking the insight and wisdom from those around you and being able to listen is truly a blessing and a gift. The hike made me feel ALIVE and ready for this journey to unfold in whatever form it chooses. I know I made the right choice. This is where I am supposed to be.

Irene (E-RAY-NAY)


1 comentario: