lunes, 28 de febrero de 2011

Fresh Air

3 Volcanoes in the distance

I can’t remember the last time I saw a sunset or at least it seems like forever. But a sunrise is also a special moment and I saw one of those yesterday. What better way is there to start the day? Sunrises seem better suited for coffee or tea and sunsets for beer. When you climb to 13, 845 feet (the highest peak in Central America) to see a sunrise, just being there in the company of friends is plenty.

We had camped below the summit of Volcan Tajumulco after afternoon showers told us to take it easy and wait for morning. At 5:00 am, I squeezed myself out of the tent to find a clear sky, full of stars. I just knew a spectacular sunset would be greeting us very shortly. We made the final push to the summit as the frosty ground crunched below us. It got lighter, volcanoes in the distance came into view, and then that magical little ball of happiness bid a spectacular good morning. 

There is something amazing about short adventures in the natural world. You can be away for such little time but feel so rejuvenated and alive after them. This time was twenty-four hours but I know that an hour has the potential to be just as special. You just have to make the moments happen. During my time in Guatemala, I have plans, with two adventurous souls, to meet up once a month for an outdoor adventure recharge. I am making it happen and you should too.

Of course we made it! 
Cheers!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario